Saturday, August 14, 2010

And it all began

Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born,
I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

As the eldest child in the broad of six children, I was brought-up to become disciplined, and goal oriented. All these compounded with hard work, led me to pursue my goals relentlessly. I thought I was already doing fine in most of the things that I did - studies, singing, dancing, doing art projects, and writing. I was a consistent honor student. I joined singing contests and became recognized. I was a ballet and jazz dancer, and stepping into the tune of the Latin dances was not difficult for me. Neither was it hard for me to dance the Pandango sa Ilaw, the Tinikling, the Sayaw sa Bagko. Making art projects was enjoyable for me that I even thought I could become an artist. Writing poems and feature stories also became a hobby which I relish with so much pleasure. With the zeal to learn as much as I can, I dreamt of excellence in my studies. Having started my schooling at the age of five (5), I graduated high school at fourteen (14) – a very young age to tackle college life.

I hail from the rural area and my exposure in the elementary and high school days did not warrant readiness to tackle the rigors of a prestigious academic institution. There I was in a foreign city, where I studied Chemical Engineering – a course which combined Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and a lot more. I encountered a culture shock – it was a different environment, it was a different setting and I started to feel the pangs of pressure when I was not able to achieve my goals - a grade of straight one’s (the highest grade at the university). It was a new experience for me and I felt so discouraged and started to feel the cunning sifting of depression into my life. 

But God did not allow me to wallow in that state, because He loves me so much and He sent an instrument – my roommate, to tell me that life is more than just the achieving high grades. I was told that there is a better way of life and this is the life with Jesus Christ - who is waiting for me to ask Him to come into my life and let Him be my Lord and Savior. That was a very different perspective! The King of all Kings offering to me the gift of salvation! I was told of the greatness of the love of God - The Almighty Father for me in that He sent His Only Son Jesus Christ to die for me, to suffer for me and to bore all the consequences of my sins. I was then seventeen, and in my young mind, I feel in love with a God who loves me tremendously, unconditionally, and without any limitations.

That made a great impact which changed my attitude towards success, and my perspective on how to live my life was totally transformed. I still studied relentlessly, but this time, my goal is focused on pleasing God, not on pleasing myself. I was so inspired to read and study the bible, to memorize verses, and to listen to His voice through my Daily Quiet Time. I pursued to know better my God and all these were done because I wanted to savor the goodness and love of my Lord, my Savior – Jesus Christ.

College life brought to me a life with Jesus Christ – a life filled with His love – His goodness and mercy. It was then that I was introduced to a God who has been holding me in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment